“When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.” – Jess C. Scott
Relationships are hard. They're work. And these days, it seems that when things get rough, when the waters begin to tremble, when the ship begins to rock, people jump overboard. They get scared. They feel as if they don't jump, they'll drown.
And sometimes, they're right. Sometimes, you can't save that ship from going under. But other times, many times, you can…
I will shovel out water as it pours into the body of the boat, just to prove to you that I'm willing to work for this. I'm willing to put in back-bending effort to make sure that we don't feel the need to jump overboard.
My darling, my future husband, I promise you this…
1. I promise to always be honest, always communicate with you.
2. I promise to keep things fresh, keep things interesting, no, things can't always feel new, but I promise to make sure you don't feel "stuck".
3. I promise to weather the storms with you, the storms of life that seem to just hit and hit and hit.
4. I promise to bask in the sunshine with you, bask in the happiness and joy that comes from being with someone you love.
5. I promise to always love you, unconditionally.
6. I promise to give to you the best of me, always, and all of me, every single day.
7. I promise to raise our kids to be the best that they can be, teaching them right from wrong.
8. I promise to never seek solace from another man. You are all I need. Your comfort is all I need.
9. I promise to always tell you that I love you, because we never know what the future holds.
10. Most importantly, I promise you to stand by your side through thick and thin, through days of doubt and days of such joy.
So, we may feel ready to jump overboard, maybe the water level is rising so fast we worry we can't shovel it out fast enough. But, you are the man I see myself with for the entirety of my life, so I'll shovel out that water through day and night. I'm ready to work for this relationship, ready to commit to you with my heart and soul.
I love you, future husband, and I can't wait until the day I get to marry you.