Inside of all of us is an inner bookworm that loves to curl up with a great book, a cup of tea, and collect must-read quotes from our favorite authors. It makes our souls smile when we pick up a fiction book and come across a quote that hits home, almost as if it were written just for our eyes. Some quotes are just what we need to feed our souls in ways nothing else can, just like these must-read quotes from the best fiction books of 2017.
Classic authors like JK Rowling, CS Lewis, Henry David, and Oscar Wilde are who fill our minds with lines so powerful that we hate to turn to the last page. These New York Times Best Sellers make finishing a fiction book a bittersweet moment. We are happy to have come across the must-read quotes, but we're disappointed because we have to search for another book long enough to suit us... which actually isn't so bitter because we literally love book quotes.
1. “Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right .” The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
2. “We never really talked much or even looked at each other, but it didn't matter because we were looking at the same sky together, which is maybe even more intimate than eye contact anyway. I mean, anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.” Turtles all the Way Down by John Green
3. “His mind was freshly inclined to sorrow; toward the fact that the world was full of sorrow; that all were suffering; that whatever way one took in the world one must try to remember that all were suffering (non content all wronged, neglected, overlooked, misunderstood), and therefore one must do what one could to lighten the load of those with whom one came into contact..." Lincoln in the Bardo by George Sanders
4. “A woman’s past need not predict her future. She can dance to new music if she chooses. Her own music. To hear the tune, she must only stop talking. To herself, I mean. We’re always trying to persuade ourselves of things.” Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
5. “Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.” All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
6. “To love is to enter into the inevitability of one day not being able to protect what is most valuable to you.” Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
7. “The exercise of deciding where to go next is difficult. Because next most likely means a new forever.” We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
8. “When you get to my age,' he says, his face softening, 'you don't waste time with regrets. In the end, you just remember the moments of joy. When all is said and done, those are the things we keep.” The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth
9. “She didn't know then that life has a way of backing you into a corner. You make your choices when you're far too young to understand their implications, and with each choice, you make the field of possibility narrows. You choose a career and other careers are lost to you. You choose a mate and commit to loving no other.” The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
10. “He said nothing: seldom do those who are silent make mistakes.” Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
11. “Most of the time, everyone deserves more than one chance. We all do things we regret now and then. You just have to carry them with you.” Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
12. “There is only one way to triumph over death, and that is by making our lives masterpieces.” Origin by Dan Brown
13. “Beware a calm surface—you never know what lies beneath.” Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
14. “Most people, the minute they meet you, were sizing you up for some competition for resources. It was as if everyone lived in fear of a shipwreck, where only so many people would fit on the lifeboat, and they were constantly trying to stake out their property and identify dispensable people – people they could get rid of.... Everyone is trying to reassure themselves: I'm not going to get kicked off the boat, they are. They're always separating people into two groups, allies, and dispensable people... The number of people who want to understand what you're like instead of trying to figure out whether you get to stay on the boat - it's really limited.” The Idiot by Elif Batuman
15. “Sometimes the world doesn’t give you what you need, no matter how hard you look. Sometimes it withholds.” Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
16. “The dead move on, but the living, we just stay here.” The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen
17. “These are mistakes, not regrets. Regrets are over and done with and a waste of time to rehash. Mistakes, though, are bad moves in the past that might affect the future.” The Rooster Bar by John Grisham
18. “You left and I wanted you still yet I deserved someone who was willing to stay.” The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur
19. “Being Anna’s boyfriend was like training to be a Navy SEAL while working full-time in an Amazon fulfillment center in the Oklahoma Panhandle in tornado season. Something was going on every moment of every day. My 2:30 naps were a thing of the past.” Uncommon Types by Tom Hanks
20. “All adults have days when we feel completely drained. When we no longer know quite what we spend so much time fighting for when reality and everyday worries overwhelm us and we wonder how much longer we’re going to be able to carry on. The wonderful thing is that we can all live through far more days like that without breaking than we think. The terrible thing is that we never know exactly how many.” Beartown by Fredrik Backman
21. “Such a tough life. This is not the easy way." No, Penn agreed, but I'm not sure easy is what I want for the kids anyway. She looked up at him. Why the hell not? I mean, if we could have everything, sure. If we can have it all, yeah. I wish them easy, successful, fun-filled lives, crowned with good friends, attentive lovers, heaps of money, intellectual stimulation, and good views out the window. I wish them eternal beauty, international travel, and smart things to watch on tv. But if I can't have everything, if I only get a few, I'm not sure easy makes my wish list. Really? Easy is nice. But its not as good as getting to be who you are or stand up for what you believe in, said Penn. Easy is nice. But I wonder how often it leads to fulfilling work or partnership or being. Easy probably rules out having children, Rosie admitted. Having children, helping people, making art, inventing anything, leading the way, tackling the world's problems, overcoming your own. I don't know. Not much of what I value in our lives is easy. But there's not much of it I'd trade for easy either, I don't think.” This is How it Always is by Laurie Frankel
22. “You must know that feeling when it's raining outside and the heating is on and you lose yourself, utterly, in a book. You read and you read and you feel the pages slipping through your fingers until suddenly there are fewer in your right hand than there are in your left and you want to slow down but you still hurtle on towards a conclusion you can hardly bear to discover.” Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
23. “Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” Wonder by R.J. Palacio
24. “He hungered for a sense of progress, of new things approaching while old familiar ones receded. It seemed far too long since he’d had that sensation.” Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
25. “I told him how we were washed out to sea and how it was like making furious love to a clash of orgiastic rhinos in a swimming pool filled with broken glass, and how you made a fire by staring balefully down into the reflective bottom of an aluminum can until your immense force of will was concentrated and magnified by the parabolic mirror into a white-hot spark of pure Turtle rage that could light anything on fire, even the hearts of unwary high schoolers.” My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
We all have our own list of best book quotes of all time that effortlessly take us away from our very own lives and bring us into a world filled with words so beautifully written that they soothe our chaotic lives. And hopefully, this list of must-read quotes from the best fiction books of 2017 has sparked an interest of all the book you need to add to your list before the New Year brings an entirely new selection of National Award Winning books for us to dive into.
Through every day we keep these must-read best fiction books quotes close to our hearts because they mean something to us, they are a piece of who we are, and who we wish to become. Whether you're a love and relationship book person or a strictly action-packed war book type, remember these best fiction books and how the quotes ended up being a must-read for so many people and maybe, just maybe, they could help you, too.
Happy reading the best fiction books of 2017!
To see more of Audi’s work check out her Facebook page!
Sign up for the Pucker Mob Women’s News Email Newsletter
powered by ArcaMax