Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard of the novel, or Netflix original series, 13 Reasons Why. The series follows the story of Hannah Baker and the 13 people and events that led her to commit suicide.
In the show, the topic of suicide is shown in such a real and relatable way that it forces viewers to see the extreme way that their choices can affect others.
1. "You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything affects everything."
2. "If you hear a song that makes you cry and you don't want to cry anymore, you don't listen to that song anymore. But you can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head."
3. "When you try rescuing someone and discover they can't be reached, why would you ever throw that back in their face?"
4. "You can hear rumors. But you can't know them."
5. "When you hold people up for ridicule, you have to take responsibility when other people act on it."
6. "Here's a tip. If you touch a girl, even as joke, and she pushes you off: Leave. Her. Alone. Don't touch her anywhere. Just stop."
7. "People grow apart, and sometimes, there's nothing anyone can do about it."
8. "You can't rewrite the past."
9. "Everyone knows you can't disprove a rumor."
10. "You can’t go back to how things were [or] how you thought they were. All you really have is…now."
11. "Unlike old age or cancer, no one anticipates a suicide."
12. "A lot of you cared, just not enough."
13. "Normally when a person has a stellar image another person's waiting in the wings to tear them apart. They're waiting for that one fatal flaw to expose itself."
14. "I guess that's the point of it all: No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same."
15. "Things get better, or worse, depending on your point of view."
16. "In the end, everything matters."
17. "Even though someone appears to shrug off a sideways comment or to not be affected by a rumor, it’s impossible to know everything else going on in that person’s life, and how we might be adding to his or her pain. People do have an impact on the lives of others; that’s undeniable."
If you liked this article, you can find more of Torianne's writing on her Facebook page.